Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Naked Heat by Richard Castle





Series: Book 2 of Nikki Heat Series

Cover Design: 3/5
Plot: 3/5
Characters: 3/5

Overall Rating: C
Obtained: Overdrive Library Book


Nikki Heat and Jameson Rook are together again in Richard Castle's thrilling follow-up to his New York Times bestseller, Heat Wave.

When New York's most vicious gossip columnist, Cassidy Towne, is found dead, Heat uncovers a gallery of high profile suspects, all with compelling motives for killing the most feared muckraker in Manhattan.

Heat's murder investigation is complicated by her surprise reunion with superstar magazine journalist Jameson Rook. In the wake of their recent breakup, Nikki would rather not deal with their raw emotional baggage. But the handsome, wise-cracking Pulitzer Prize-winning writer's personal involvement in the case forces her to team up with Rook anyway. The residue of their unresolved romantic conflict and crackling sexual tension fills the air as Heat and Rook embark on a search for a killer among celebrities and mobsters, singers and hookers, pro athletes and shamed politicians. (Amazon.com)

A new year, a new list of books, plus a brand spanking new e-reader from the family. What can I say?

So I've been going back and forth between a Nook and a Kindle for awhile. Finally my sister decided she was getting a Nook so that we could share books together, I got a Nook. Anyway, so with the Nook I finally got to use our brand new Overdrive library that the local branches of the library has subscribed to. I guess it works that way, I'm not really sure. No matter. In the grand scheme of things it means free e-books! (for two weeks)

The first novel I read was The Scorch Trials by James Dashner but since this blog is starting off with a new year, I won't bother reviewing that. In case you want to know, I'd give it a 3/5 (it was okay if only to lead you to the third book)

Well back to Naked Heat by Richard Castle.

This is the second book that I have read by “Richard Castle”. In case you are unaware, Richard Castle is the name of the main character in the ABC Television show 'Castle'. He is played by Nathan Fallion who played Captain Malcom Reynolds from the show Firefly. In the show, Rick Castle follows about Detective Kate Beckett and pretty much helps solves cases while annoying her at the same time.

When someone would ask me what I was reading, I would always start out, “You know that show Castle? It's the second book in that series.” I would never say “Naked Heat” because that sounds like a bodice ripper, don't you think? You know one of those trashy novels where the couple is always in the state of some undress, usually the girl mostly.

In Naked Heat, as in Heat Wave (the first in the series) the same plot is presented with slight differences i.e. Jameson Rook, a magazine writer, follows around Nikki Heat, a dective of the NYPD. The whole Rook thing makes me laugh. Rook. Castle. Chess. Pretty much the same story. They are the same characters as Beckett and Castle except Heat and Rook actually have a relationship instead of pinning from afar like the television characters.

The plot could have easily come from the television show except for having more characters and plot twists. It took me a while to get through this book, I had trouble really getting into the book. Mysteries usually take a while for me to get though because I try to figure out 'Who dun it' before the main characters do. The actual killer was a little bit unexpected, not the mind blowing 'I would never have guessed but instead 'emm interesting'' Don't worry I won't give it away.


The cover design, I feel is rather uninspired. I realize they are trying to keep with the same look as the silhouette of the first one. Murder being spelled backwards is a bit annoying but at the same time, I like the look of the typewriter keys. The whole typewriter bit does tie in really well in the book.

Overall, the book is rather blah but I love the whole premise behind the book and how 'Richard Castle' has published the novel talked about in the show. I will most likely continue to read the Nikki Heat series. Call it a guilty pleasure. Like Bodice rippers.

No comments:

Post a Comment